Thursday 9 December 2010

I went for a walk through the deep snow yesterday to hand deliver a 26th wedding anniversary card to Lord and Lady Haddington. Took me a good while and the walk, in Wellington boots, was quite exhausting. It was a real effort to drag the back foot out of the snow to take the next step forward.
Having reached the west wing and popping the card into the letterbox I took a much longer 'roundabout' way back, via the west drive (which had been snow-ploughed) and a fair walk back on the roadway to the east gates, a few yards from my cottage.
I had a really strong cup of Assam tea soon after I'd stumbled into the back door. Oh what a welcome and reviving beverage that was!
My successor at Mellerstain, Angus, had a head-on crash whilst he was taking two of the cleaners back home on Monday. They were all taken to hospital for a check up. I am so happy to say that they were all returned safely to their homes with just some nasty bruises and well shaken up. Black ice was the culprit; treacherous stuff. Angus's car is a write-off but insurance will cover that loss; no significant injuries is the main blessing in this event, an event that is probably being replayed by many others in this awful cold spell.

12 comments:

The Bug said...

It's a good thing you're in such good shape or I'd be shaking my finger at you for all that strenuous walking!

Glad that Angus & company are ok.

Monkey Man said...

The snow is beautiful. Glad your friends weren't harmed in the accident.

Vera said...

Would love to have shared more of your walk. The landscape looked beautiful.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

Philip, are you sure that's England you've pictured? It sure looks a lot like Canada. Even Vancouver doesn't get that much snow.

Argent said...

Oops, I can't believe I missed this post. I'm thinking you're a brave soul to be wandering around in such snow. Ours is all gone now but yours looks fiercely beautiful.

ToBlog today said...

A cup of tea is welcome anytime, but it is that much more welcome after a snowy walk, indeed.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. : )

Stella Jones said...

You have had a lot of snow Philip. Bet you're glad you've got your wellies but they are so cold, aren't they!
It all looks so beautiful up there.
Blessings, Star

Brian Miller said...

nice...love the snow...supposed to hit here monday night...and how thoughtful of you...

mrsnesbitt said...

here in North Yorkshire we fully understand! Why were we selected eh?

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It's hard to believe that you have all that snow and we on the South Shore of Nova Scotia have virtually nothing on the ground. Why it's gotten so that I actually miss the white stuff. But it has been lovely not to have to shovel, especially with my recovering broken foot.

I'm also glad that your friends weren't harmed in the accident. Dangerous stuff, black ice.

Keep warm!

Land of shimp said...

Oh it's been too long in between walks with you, Philip, so that was a welcome treat.

Maybe summer is hiding at the end of that road. You never know, it could be. Summer dashing away, trying to make an escape as the snow chases it :-)

And Flossy is still a going concern, hurray! What an uplifting entry all together. I am impressed with your snow trudging abilities, Philip. I tend to eye the white stuff from behind a window pane and await a helpful melt ;-)

Snowbrush said...

I loved the film and getting to hear you speak. I just wish you could have appeared in it.