Friday 7 October 2016

Stitched Up Eyes

I'm worried.  It's Clare, my artistic and hardworking young daughter. She has had major eye surgery on her left eye and minor surgery on her right eye, just over a week or so ago. 

She had to go to Sheffield hospital for this operation as our more local hospitals don't cater for detached retina jobs apparently. Blindness is guaranteed if this type of eye problem is not speedily dealt with.

Thankfully Clare still has fair to middling vision in her right eye but not much in her left eye which, apart from the retina being detached in two areas, a 'hole' was  discovered. This hole needed to be dealt with too.

Pat and I have been with Clare each day in her house, trying to keep her mind off her worrying thoughts and to take her some lunch. I am so glad we are now nearby and not in Scotland!

Yesterday when we arrived at Clare's place she was looking unhappier than ever.  She's suffering from a scratchy left eye as a piece of one of the tiny stitches is protruding and I'm as scared as Clare.  Sheffield hospital is contacted by 'phone. Go to A&E, the say; the stitch may need to come out.  I take her to Grimsby hospital and check into A&E. We wait and within fifteen minutes explain the problem. The nurse contacts the eye clinic and half an hour later Clare is examined by the ophthalmologist. He assures us that there is no need for any action on his part and that Clare should see the surgeon in Sheffield on Monday.  I am relieved and Clare is now happier than earlier. It is not a solution to the pricky-scratchy stitch discomfort but Clare will soldier on until Monday morning when hubby Andy will drive her to see the surgeon in Sheffield hospital.  

Every time I arrive to be with Clare her two big doggies, Bob and Molly, go wild with delight as I walk in. Molly has her squeaky pink toy in her jaws and is impatient for me to try to grab it from her.  Bob is bustling her away from me and strives  to get to me, tail swinging wildly and madly. These big babies are wonderfully welcoming and just want to play. It's lovely to see them each time I go there. The photo below was today, Friday 7th Oct, Molly has bagged a space close to me and Bob is patiently waiting for his turn!  I just love 'em both so much.




17 comments:

PhilipH said...

This could be the Bob Molly story!

All Consuming said...

I missed this post on my feed! Oh poor Clare, I feel for her enormously, I had to dash to the emergency room at the eye hospital myself as you know last year and as my eyesight worsened I was scared to death it would carry on that way. Thankfully its halted and I hope Clare is out of pain and can see again with some clarity very, very soon Xxxx The dogs are absolutely gorgeous, lovely picture, take care down there Philip, much love Michelle xxx

PhilipH said...

Thank you, Michelle. As I write this Clare will have seen the eye surgeon in Sheffield hospital; I'm waiting for a call from her or Andy to say how things are. Oh, hang on, text just arrived: "Surgey gone well. Back in 6 weeks. Can see hugger all kust now due to tests lpl. Speak layer xxx" Obviously I'm relieved and delighted - I shall overlook her spelling etc (lol, not lpl) xx

All Consuming said...

Hurrah! I'm so glad that partis over for her. *hugs all round* Xx

the walking man said...

Having a much scarred left retina (industrial accident 34 years ago) i can say that as long as there is correctable vision in the opposite eye the brain adapts and expands the peripheral to compensate. good luck and best wishes to Claire, Philip.

PhilipH said...

Thanks for that info Mark; Clare is optimistic that in three to six months she will have sufficient vision to continue her sculpting work. The was no reason for this problem; she had no accident or trauma. It just happened!

The Bug said...

It seems like Clare has been through a lot! I'm so glad the surgery went well. And those "puppies" - so cute!

PhilipH said...

Thanks, Dana. Yep, Clare has certainly had a lot to contend with over the past few years:brain tumour diagnosis,epilepsy and detached retina. She has survived all and stays firmly positive. I hope you and Doc are as good as possible. Phil.

Snowbrush said...

How are things now?

PhilipH said...

Slow progress - but still painful in the left eye. We're glad it was dealt with as speedily as it was, and as expertly. Clare is anxious to resume her sculpting but it will be a few months before she is fully recovered.

Thanks, Phil

Snowbrush said...

At least she will be fully recovered! I'm so glad for this much, at least. She has suffered so much for one so young. I'm glad the granddogs like you. I'll tell you what, though, if we were to ever get another dog, it would be something about the size of a Westie.

Take it easy, my friend.

Snowbrush said...

I was just looking at you and the two dogs and noticing that you’re wearing a tie. Things have gotten so casual here in America that few people wear ties anymore even at church or at work.This trend even includes funerals, and I suppose weddings although I never go to any of those.

Maybe you could make us a movie of you and the pups.

Snowbrush said...

You know, Philip, you look really good in that photo. Although I can't see your face, I can get a glimpse of your heart. I also like it that you dress so well.

There is a fellow who lives around the block, and he got to where he would come around sometimes and we would smoke a little pot. It was clear that he wanted to be friends, and I would have liked that, but there was one thing that made it impossible for me, namely, that my pets would go up to him to greet him and he would just stand there starting at them as if they were objects, and he would keep doing this until they went away. No pat, no friendly word, just a stare, and I would feel like pushing him right back out the door. I think there’s something important missing from the heart of a person who regards other animals as objects. If he had been phobic or had allergies, I would have regarded him differently, but neither of these things was the case. At the time, we just had the one cat, but we still had our old and blind heeler, and I know that his behavior puzzled and hurt Bonnie and Brewsky, and it told me that, however friendly he might be with me, there was ice in his heart. I also considered his treatment of my pets more than a little stupid given that he wanted to be my friend.

PhilipH said...

I've usually worn a tie when going out. It's an outdated habit I guess but I just feel more comfortable I guess. I sometimes choose a cravat; quick and easy and quite warm in this cold snap.

If I see a dog tied up outside a shop, waiting anxiously for its owner to return, it is so rewarding to see the animal smile, with its tail, when I say "Hello" and give him/her my gentle stroke, or scratch the neck. Unresistable.

I was on a bus, in Scotland, taking Pat to see a surgeon in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, some six or seven years ago. Met a lovely old chap with his dog and I did a small video at the time and 'blogged it' that day.

https://chroniclesofacroydonboy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/sam-on-86-bus-to-edinburgh.html

Gorgeous little pooch. Lovely face. Cheers, Phil

Steve said...

Thanks for sharing your daughter's story. Hope she's recovered after eye surgery now. I suffered a detached retina a couple of years ago and thankfully everything went well. The symptoms of a detached retina should be made more widely known. It is usually straightforward to treat if caught in time, but the consequences if not treated promptly can be severe.

Jamaal @ Eye Clinic London

PhilipH said...

Thank you, Jamaal. Although her operation was successful, the 'buckle' that was employed during the surgery has been causing some irritation. The surgeon offered to remove this 'buckle' if it was impacting too much but Clare didn't want to go through another bout of surgery, so she is just carrying on - letting things heal gradually.
It's quite amazing how advanced eye surgery is now.

UplayOnline said...

I also considered his treatment of my pets more than a little stupid given that he wanted to be my friend.


แคมฟรอก