Thursday, 24 November 2011

Daughter Clare & Her *Gremlin*

Haven't been posting anything for some time now but decided to give a brief update on my lovely daughter's situation.

She is due to have another MRI scan in about three weeks from now. She has had a second opinion from a London brain surgeon who has confirmed that her tumour of the pineal gland is not suitable for surgery. I'm quite content with that opinion and I think Clare is too. The tumour is deep in the centre of her brain and the risk is far to great for surgery.

The neurologists will keep a careful watch on what is going on via scans. Hopefully these scans will be re-assuring.

Clare's epilepsy is a problem in that the initial drug (Keppra) did not suit her because of the side-effects and she is now on a different drug and seems to be OK-ish with the new medication.

Clare continues to remain very strong and positive. She cannot, of course, drive her car any more - nor can she do any of her wonderful sculptures. She will, we are sure, resume her work one day.

We are so very proud of her. We love her so much.


Thistledew said...

Glad you decided to share updated news of your dear daughters gremlin with us. I have been thinking about you all recently and checked your blog tonight for the first time since March and found your post. I wish you all well and will continue to wish for Clares recovery.

The Bug said...

Thanks so much for the update. I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

Nicole said...

Thank you for the update. I've thought of you and your daughter often and have been wondering how she is doing. I continue to pray that for her recovery!

PhilipH said...

David, Dana and Nicole, thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful comments. We drove from Scotland to Scartho in Lincolshire a couple of times for long weekends to be with Clare and her family. We hope to see them all again soon.
Kindest regards, Phil.

Argent said...

Thanks from me, too, for letting us all know how things are going. Your daughter sounds like a trooper and let's hope and pray the scans continue to show reassuring results.

Take care of yourself, too, Philip: these things don't just take it out of the person who has afflicted, caring takes a lot of work too.

thinking of you and your family.

the walking man said...

"We are so very proud of her. We love her so much."

How could this not be...may she find her way through the medical maze to an outcome that is as good as can possibly be, Phillip!

PhilipH said...

Dear Silver and Mark, thanks for stopping by. Have just spoken with Clare on the phone and she sounds so cheerful and that means so much. She is baking some cakes and stuff for a local group and it was really wonderful to hear this. I hope one day she will be resuming her sculpting and, if she can control the 'abscence seizures' for a year or so then she will be able to drive again.
It's a bitingly cold wind in the Scottish Borders today but my chat with Clare has warmed the cockles of my heart. Kindest regards, Phil

Angelina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelina said...

Typo in the last one.

I was just thinking about you. Sorry to hear about the "Gremlin". When my sister got cancer, her doctor said that the majority of healing takes place in your emotional, and spiritual well-being.

My prayers are with you and your family for a positive outcome. :)

Snowbrush said...

Sometimes having no worse news constitutes having good news, but it must be hard to live with something that (a) can't be treated, and (b) is causing significant problems that might get worse. Is there a backup plan here if it does get worse, or are they simply doing scans to stay informed about a problem for which they have no solution regardless of what develops?

PhilipH said...

Angelina and Snow, thanks for your comments.
Yes Snowy, "no worse news" is sort of comforting, albeit somewhat less than warmlycomforting. We just hope that the MRI scan in one week from now will show no further growth in this tumour. That will be a great relief.
It will help me believe that this problem of Clare's MAY have been with her for decades, as one of the neurologists has stated. It is a possibility, and that's what we cling on to.
If the lump does increase in size then it may have to be treated with chemo or some sort of radiation - we hope neither will be needed.
Thanks for your concern ...